Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Should a PM be an MBA?

I'm currently 3 classes away from completing my Masters of Science in Project Management (MSPM), this semester I am taking a Supply Chain Management class. While I like the lectures I find the class annoying because it assumes you have a bunch of MBA information that I don't.

The question is now occurring to me, do I need an MBA (as well)? Here is the link to the Google search I did on the topic:

http://www.google.com/search?q=should+a+project+manager+be+an+MBA

One of the first hits is this book:

The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management, Second Edition. I will take a look and report back.

Then came a number of links for Project Management focused MBAs. I was totally unaware of this trend and it makes me wonder if my MSPM will be devalued or worse misunderstood because of these MBAs?

While I have not researched them, I feel safe in assuming that as business administration degrees, they are not as science oriented as my MS. What if the MSPM is for academics (of which I am not)? On the flip side, if these PM MBAs are not successful will they make the MSPMs less valuable (or more)?

Lots of questions with no answers, but there is at least this article by
Dennis J. Cohen, Robert J. Graham, The Project Manager's MBA. It starts with a seemingly optimistic quote (for PMs) from Lord Tennyson.

No comments: