Monday, October 20, 2008

MS Project Server

Here is why Niku Clarity and other networked PM software exists (well to be fair its a small reason among many bigger ones).  With MS Project Server 2003 (maybe 2005) you have to add everyone to the resource pool for that project plan, who you want to be able to view the plan.  

Did it no occur to MS that maybe some far flung VP or your average stakeholder might want to view that plan.  If they do, they have to see me, the PM and ask to be added.  More likely, this VP will go off telling half the company I don't have a plan in place (because if I don't have him in the resource pool he can't even SEE the plan file in the open file list).  

Now I might not have the best IT department, so maybe there are better ways to setup the server, but I think MS should approach PM software the way good PMs approach project management; Transparency.  The reality of the project (good or bad) should always be available.

That said, I constantly use MS Project.

No comments: