Wednesday, October 22, 2008

PMI and Project Management

I have had my PMP since 2004.  I studied very hard to get it and worked hard to keep it active (I renewed in last year).   My PMP and PMI have been a positive influence on my professional life and there has been significant financial reward that is to be associated at some level with them.  I am now looking at get my PMP-Scheduling and Risk certifications (in my future I hope to be Matthew D Levy, MSPM, PMP,PMP-SP, PMP-RP).  

However, I do have differences with PMI.  They are not huge differences, but they are there. That said, my real differences are with PMI-Fanatics.  Those who believe all things should be PMI ruled are missing the the core of what PMI is about.  PMI is a body of knowledge, not a methodology.  You are supposed to learn it, stay current and practice it as makes sense for your organization/situation/project.  

I am not saying there should not be a written methodology in place, just that saying 'PMI says...' is not the correct response,  'PMI suggests...' might be a better one.  

I think the misconception that PMI represents a methodology is further complicated when it is compared to actual methodologies like PRINCE2.   The fact that PMI (and the PMP) is for many people the initial gateway into professional project management also contributes to the issue with a loyalty factor (maybe its just familairty).  

So what does a good PM do?  What else should they look to?  Here are a few suggestions:
These are just a few examples, though there are not that many PM specific organizations.  Also look at newer methodologies like AGILE and/or LEAN (these might be the same thing, I'm only starting to dig into them).  

Finally, just as Spock suggested that logic was the beginning of wisdom (not the end of it), I suggest to you that PMI is the beginning of project management expertise and practice.  It is up to you to further your knowledge and practice by going out into the world, learning more, applying and then coming back to these methods and BOKs and providing the benefit of your experience to improve them further.

Matthew Levy, PMP

No comments: